Athlete Code of Conduct
The purpose of a code of conduct for athletes is to establish a consistent expectation for athletes' behavior. By participating in South Siskiyou Swim, all athletes agree to the following statements:
- I will respect and show courtesy to my teammates, coaches, board members and officials at all times.
- I will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all practices and meets.
- I will set a good example of behavior and work ethic for my younger teammates.
- I will be respectful of my teammates' feelings and personal space. Swimmers who exhibit sexist racist, homophobic, or otherwise inappropriate behavior will be faced with consequences.
- I will attend all team meetings and training sessions, unless I am excused by my coach.
- I will show respect for all facilities and other property (including locker rooms) used during practices, competitions, and team activities.
- I will refrain from foul language, violence, behavior deemed dishonest, offensive, or illegal.
- If I disagree with an official's call, I will talk with my coach and not approach the official directly.
- I will obey all of USA Swimming's rules and codes of conduct.
Any athlete who violates this code of conduct will be subject to disciplinary action determined by the coaches and swim team's board of directors.
Coach Code of Conduct
The purpose of the code of conduct for coaches is to establish common expectations for all members of the coaching staff of the club. It is to be used as a guide to promote a positive team environment and good sportsmanship.
- At all times, adhere to USA Swimming's rules and code of conduct.
- Set a good example of respect and sportsmanship for participants and fans to follow.
- Act and dress with professionalism and dignity in a manner suitable to his/her profession.
- Respect officials and their judgment and abide by the rules of the event.
- Treat opposing coaches, participants and spectators with respect.
- Instruct participants in sportsmanship and demand they display good sportsmanship.
- Coach in a positive manner and do not use derogatory comments or abusive language.
- Win with humility and lose with dignity.
- Treat every athlete fairly, justly, impartially, intelligently and with sensitivity.
- Always place the well being, health, and safety of swimmers above all other considerations, including developing performance.
- Continue to seek and maintain their own professional development in all areas in relation to coaching and teaching children.
- Always maintain a professional separation between coach and athlete.
Any complaints of a coach violating this code of conduct should be brought to the attention of the board of directors.
Parent Code of Conduct
The purpose of a code of conduct for parents is to establish consistent expectations for behavior by parents. As a parent/guardian, you understand the importance of growth and developmental support that your child's participation fosters. You also understand that it is essential to provide the coaching staff and board members with respect. As a parent, you agree to:
- Set the right example for our children by demonstrating sportsmanship and showing respect and common courtesy at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents and all facilities.
- Get involved by volunteering, observing practices, cheering at meets, and talking with my child and their coach about their progress.
- Refrain from coaching my child from the stands during practices or meets.
- Understand that criticizing, name-calling, use of abusive language or gestures directed towards coaches, officials, volunteers, and/or any participating swimmer will not be tolerated.
- Respect the integrity of the officials.
- Direct my concerns to the parent/athlete liaison, then, if not satisfied, to the board of directors.