South Siskiyou Swim Team Practice Policies
- Only coaches, registered swimmers and board members are allowed on deck (for insurance purposes). You are welcome to cheer your child on from the grassy area just outside the fence.
- You are responsible for your child before and after practice. Please keep an eye on your child to make sure that they are safe around the pool.
- Please allow the coaches to make the most of the practice for all swimmers by staying back from the pool. We’re happy to have parents observe practice, but please do not interrupt the coaches or swimmers. Swimmers do best when they can fully focus on the coach during the swim practice. If you have questions for the coaches, it’s best to contact them via email.
- To ensure that the appropriate level of instruction is afforded to everyone, a parent or guardian (18 and older) is required to attend the complete practice of swimmers 8 years and younger and be in the immediate area (but not on deck). If parent/guardian is found not present, the swimmer will be asked to exit the water until a parent/guardian is present. A notification will be sent to parent/guardian of the situation. If the situation occurs again, the swimmer may be dismissed from the team with no refund of registration fees.
- Expectations for swimmers – Please ensure that your child arrives by the start of their practice time. Swimmers will be expected to be able to swim the full 25 meters of the pool, unassisted, without touching the lane lines and/or the walls in freestyle and then return in backstroke. They must be comfortable in the water and willing to learn.
- We will not be having a pre-team this year due to shortened time availability for SSST to access the pool.
Practice will be cancelled for severe storms that include thunder and lightning. If there is lightning, we cannot be in the water until a period of time has passed after it has stopped.
If there seems like there will be bad weather the day of a meet, you still need to go to the meet. The only exception is if you get a message that the meet has been canceled.
Practice cancellations and swim meet weather delays / cancellations are announced via the SwimTopia communications center and will go out via email so on bad weather days, please check your email shortly before leaving for the pool (weather cancellations are always announced shortly before (or during practice) due to the unpredictable nature of weather and the need to follow safety guidelines.